About Me

Software engineer Technical Consultant Passion for writing editorials. Part time blogging. Journalism My Book Dreams

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Category 1 customizations to SCD2 dimensions-W_PARTY_ORG_D

Dt:24 July 2012

I extended the W_PARTY_ORG_D dimension to add few new columns to this table.I modified the SIL mappings to accommodate the change.
To my surprise I found out that the new records were inserted with proper data in the extended columns but the updates to the newly added  columns were not working.
A little digging in and I realised that W_PARTY_ORG_D is a SCD2 dimension and will require a few settings to the update flag to get the updates working properly.

If anyone of you out there are facing a similar problem or have a solution to this then please right in .In the mean time I wll go about trying to find an ideal solution to this problem.

*******************************************************************************
 Solution:

Well it had nothing to do with SCD2 .It was just that I added extended columns from a secondary source which was not originally taken care of by the update logic .The output port which checks for the SCD1 change is SYSTEM_COLS_DIFF.This port checks for CHANGED_ON_DT ,AUX_CHANGE_ON_DT columns to  find if there is an update on any of the source tables.

AUX_CHANGED_ON_DT columns were provided by ORACLE specifically to handle these type of scenarios.But this is rarely used by Informatica developers doing customizations on prebuilt ETL.
 


14 comments:

Popular Posts